Saturday, April 7, 2012

Multicultural Jumble, an Evening among the Navajo, or Blogging Woes:

(Hogans at the Navajo Village Heritage Center)

I just wrote that title hoping it would help the site, drycreeksustainable.blogspot.com, get more hits.  I spend every evening among the Navajo.  Sometimes I wish I could get away from them, not because they’re Navajo, but because they’re family.  My wife, my kids: they’re family.  They’re also Navajos.   Therefore, that title is absurd.  I apologize.  The marketing gurus back at the office called me to the Conference Room, which is the cold dusty food storage room--influence of the Mormons, who I also want to get away from sometimes, not specifically because they’re Mormon, but because they’re family.  (Hell, I mean heck, I want to get away from the Mormons most of all--primarily, because I’m one of them, which in itself is irritating, not because I’m Mormon per say, but because I’m me). 
Anyway, the gurus are neither family nor Mormons.  (Marci didn’t get who these guys are; that’s because they’re a product of my imagination--I’m fiction writer too, although apparently not a very good one.)  Anyway, they’re mathematicians who sold out their dream of solving the meaning of existence through the perfect equation because they thought they’d make more money in the business world.  Most of their colleagues did do exactly that, including my friend Carl, who has been happy ever since.  The difference is that these guys never learned to lie well.   And you can’t succeed at anything you do half-heartedly.   Even a lie must be lived well.   As a result, they’re a mean, bitter group--all two of them.  And they’ve just informed me that my data doesn’t paint a pretty picture.
 (The Power Point Presentation from the Boys in the Backroom)

After doing some research, which they left up to me, because apparently writing isn’t a real profession unless you’re on the New York Times Best Seller List, and yes, they do have the graphs to show that indeed I’m not a writer.  Therefore, they said, I’d better learn math and marketing as well as metaphors and alliteration.  So, I did some research, and apparently, if that blogger is more knowledgeable than this one, blog entry titles are part of the key to success.  The right title will either make or break you on any given day.  The boys in the backroom said I should put it to the test, scientifically prove it, so to say.  Thus the title.
According to the experts, another secret to blog-entries, is keeping them short and concise.  Obviously, I’ve already failed at that with this.  So I’ll save An Evening among the Navajo for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment