Thursday, April 26, 2012

Instead of Reading this Mediocre Poem Composed by a Gray-haired Middle-Aged Man in Checkered Flannel Pajamas Bemoaning Life’s Little Let-Downs You Could Explore the Physics of the Impossible.

I am damaged goods.  Perhaps
we all are.  The fat kid who didn’t
know how to be
skinny.  The beauty queen
who didn’t know how
to be more than

beauty, her mind like wildfire
enclosed, smothered within
a perfect shell--talking all the while
of boy friends and painted toenails
while bridges of cable spanned
gulfs of water and glittered
in strands of steel notes.

And of course there are old loves.
We all die several times
before we find the right one--if we are lucky.
My heart was ripped out thrice
by perfectly good women, and each
time I tried to reassemble it, nothing fit
right, but as I had to get to work,
I just forced bolts
on with a pipe-
wrench and threw
the extra parts in a dirty yellow
pail.

Now and again I wake up
In the night and realize
even with you here
I’m simply not right.
So I tinker

with bailing wire words,
try to make her perfectly-dimpled
smile  finally fit for me, not him.   Closure I want,
I guess.

But everything refuses.
My past I can’t love, can’t hate.
I don’t even know where it all
goes. 

Finally, I slide
the bucket under the bed, read the Book
of Mormon or Murakami.

6:00 a.m.  The alarm goes off
like a wind-up bird.









No comments:

Post a Comment