Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Life (Buddhism, Mormonism, poetry, the Creative Process & the Fixx)

I first came to poetry through music.  When I was a teenager, I would listen to groups like the Cure, the Police, the Fixx, and the music would drive words--not just their words, but my words and their words mingled together, and I would write poems that, although mostly mine, would never have arrived without theirs--a sort of strange dialogue, where both are talking, but only I am listening.   Here, I have gone back to my poetic roots, what I consider a righteous plagiarism--the spirit of one artist sustaining another.  Perhaps, it is more for the young, but I enjoyed the Fixx moving me once again. After all, I am definitely old enough to qualify for a mid-life crisis, if not a little beyond that right.


Photo by Rio Brown


Life

Rose red sunsets
and maggots on the bone.
Golden fawn
in the dawn dew meadow
or dead on the road.

Flower blooming,
baby breaking
forth blood-slick
and God-glorious,
parents joy,
gentle rain,
terrible typhoon,
get your ass to your room!

Bitter bite of frost,
the limb-snap
thundering down,
happenstance
blossoming
the end
of one stopping
by woods to
enjoy

silence, ah silence, that moment of stillness....

before the storm,

kneeling,
pleading,
begging,
no, no, no more!

Sun pours
through verdant green canopy
Everything taken
is restored.





No comments:

Post a Comment