Sunday, February 15, 2015

Creating a Tuscan Garden Path & Outdoor Dining Area in the Great Basin: Part I--Winter Dreaming

Although it is technically still winter, our unusually warm weather has sent me into garden dreams.  Still suffering from an infection, I can't actually get outside to work.  But I can shop for ideas and scheme.  Here is my plan for creating a little bit of Tuscany in my own backyard in spite of the obvious climate differences.
 
Existing Pond, Path & Grill Pad

1.  The Site

There is a narrow gravel path that runs from the driveway, past a small pond, to a series of three outdoor rooms partially enclosed and separated by three structures--a hanging bucket garden, a grill pad (above) and a pergola.  The three outdoor rooms are well defined and work well together as three interlocking spaces.  The pond also ties in nicely and reflects the grill pad.  But, between the driveway and the pond, planting seems unrelated and once the spring grass dies back, the pathway lacks definition.

2.  Tuscan Inspiration

Besides being my favorite garden style, a Tuscan style garden is perfect for Dry Creek because we only receive 12 to 15 inches of rain annually.  Although we can't grow many types of Mediterranean plants here because of our cold winters, I believe I can find enough substitute plants to make it work.  In particular, the natural rabbit brush can provide the soft grays of rosemary.


3. Existing Tuscan-Like Features

On top of that, I already have a few old-west features, such as my hanging bucket garden and pergola that give a nod towards traditional Tuscan garden structures.  I don't want to so much recreate a Tuscan garden as use a Tuscan garden as a familiar reference point and transform it with references to the American west.  I believe there are enough similarities between Tuscany and the West that I can blend the two into an effective hybrid garden.

Existing hanging bucket garden.  After this picture was taken,
my grape vine took off and softened the structure.
 
Pergola with grape vine beginning its way up nearest post. 
Vegetable garden wraps around two sides.
 

4.  Lessons Learned from an English Cottage Garden Pathway



4a.  Use of Pots

Although the above video models creating a traditional English cottage garden, I found inspiration in the even spacing of ceramic pots along the path to provide pattern and structure to what is otherwise an informal, winding path.  I will place ceramic pots along the south edge of my path, alternating plantings of skyrocket juniper and red geranium in them.  On the north border of the path, I will place lamp posts with lights over the pathway and hanging baskets both sides.  This will continue the verticality of the garden structures out towards the driveway.

4b.  Shrubbery in Patterns

Although you can't grow Italian Cypress here, skyrocket juniper are a good substitute.  Not only will they enhance the verticality of the garden structures and lamp posts, they will provide a common Tuscan reference point to build the rest of the garden around.

 

5.  Stay True to Your Site while Playing with the Exotic

 
Although I have never been to Tuscany, and most likely never will be able to afford such a trip, I don't think it will be hard to create a little nod towards that distant land in my own backyard while still honestly acknowledging the western structures, plants and landscape that exist here.
 
To me, that is what gardening is all about:  work with the topography and history of your site while playing with it until you create something that both respects the past and nods towards the exotic or new.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment