Monday, October 13, 2014

The Affordable Care Act Allows Me to Help Change Teenagers Lives Forever

Three years ago my wife and I decided to quit teaching in Arizona and move to rural Utah where we, with the help of my parents, built a home on my family’s land—90 acres of Juniper and gamble oak with maple and cottonwood running along the two stream beds.

It was a giant leap of faith that we’d be able to secure a means of sustenance in such a rural community, but we prayed about it, and it felt right.

Finding meaningful employment in education was difficult to say the least.  Teaching positions seldom open here, and when they do, competition is fierce, and openings are usually filled with relatives or friends with strong ties to the community.  I have no problem with that.  In communities with such small economic bases, it’s important to provide people already invested in the community with jobs before reaching out to the wider world for individuals who may not even stay.

But, as I had been away since 8th grade, and as my step-father had been retired for years, it made getting hired very difficult for us.

We eventually were hired at a boy’s home in a near-by community as support staff, and I was hired later as one of the two teachers.

My job requires every bit as much time, ability and energy as a position at a public high school does, except I work year-around, only have three days off (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the Fourth of July) and I don’t receive any benefits, and until recently, I only earned $12.00 an hour.

It sounds awful, but it isn’t.  Instead, it’s incredibly meaningful because the school has a strong program and changes boys’ lives forever.  Not every student finds a better version of themselves.  A few return to lives of substance abuse and crime not long after they are released.  But more than half go on to lead lives that include college, sobriety and respect for themselves and others, something their parents could only dream of prior to treatment. 

And even the kids who fail and return to their former destructive lifestyles experience a year or two of sobriety, clarity and peace, where they move ahead on their academics, and at least for a while begin to build bridges with their family.

What’s not to like about that?  And yet, if it were not for the Affordable Care Act, I would most likely have to quit and find employment elsewhere, which would require my leaving the land and community I love.  I don’t need a lot, but I do need a way to pay medical bills, and the job I have simply doesn’t provide that.

It should.  It’s even owned by a big, international healthcare company.  But the reality is that it doesn’t.  Because the Affordable Healthcare Act subsidizes my healthcare, I can do what I love to do best—help young people find themselves.

And I’m not sure that’s unfair to tax payers.  My job keeps juveniles with severely troubled backgrounds (rape, sexual deviancy, theft, violence, etc.) from becoming incarcerated adults, which costs society far more than what it costs to supplement my healthcare.  And, of course, at least while they are in treatment, my work keeps other tax payers safe.

The lie that is propagated by certain media groups is that everyone who receives government assistance is lazy.  But it’s not true.  Most Americans want to contribute to society.  Because unions have lost their bargaining power, the truth is many meaningful jobs no longer pay a living wage.  As long as that is the case, people like me, need assistance to contribute to society.

And as long as everyone is willing to put their fare share into the system, it works.  Marci and I once made healthy wages and paid a good dose of middle-class taxes, as well as gave a lot to both social programs and struggling individuals in our neighborhood.  I hope we get to that position again, but in the meantime, I’m thankful that the Affordable Care Act allows me to give troubled teens a fresh start on life.  I see the changes in these kids, and know it’s worth it.  I am not a sponge on society, and neither are many others, who because of the current economic inequality in our nation, need assistance with medical expenses.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment