Saturday, August 23, 2014

Intellectual Elitism: And We Wonder Why Our Kids Pick on the Kid with Down Syndrome


I just read the following picture posted on face-book.  I believe its creator, as well as the many people to post it, feels he/she is making a feminist statement.

#GoodAdvice 4 My Young G'z Whoa!

Too me, it seems, not only are they passing along the age-old sexism by reducing women to simple terms--you're either sexy or intelligent, but not both--but they are also passing along what is perhaps the biggest prejudice of our times:  that somehow you are less human if you are less intelligent.

I work at a boys home that houses a wide variety of students from various social-economic, cultural and geographic backgrounds.  I currently have a twelfth-grade boy who writes academic papers at a college level and creative writing works at a masters level.  Often his reading of literary texts is more sophisticated than mine, and I have to struggle to follow his thoughts, not because they're not sound, but because he quite simply outsmarts me.

And yet, I have seen this same student take pride in being able to put down his peers.  He also came in a junkie and until quite recently everything he did was to seek affirmation of what a wonderful, gifted genius he is.

I have no doubt this student will succeed academically, socially and monetarily in this life.  But, if we can't help him, he will be deplorably unhappy and will make those around him just as unhappy.  He will have lots fans and few friends--not unlike many Hollywood movers and shakers.  In fact, I picture him as a quite successful screen writer strung out on heroin or cocaine.

I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case.  Wow!--is he fun to talk to.  He has great tastes in literature, in music, in art.  But as a person, at least for now, he doesn't really exist.  He lacks humanity, and for whatever reason, right now, is sort of a shell.  People are fluid.  Given the right settings, they can and do change.  So, with his mind, provided he finds God in the bedrock beneath crowded and clumped humanity rather than just more and more nada, he could have an amazing impact on humanity.

However, at the same time, I have a ninth-grade student, who functions intellectually between a first and second grade level.  Teaching him is not as fun.  Often, it's down right frustrating.  I explain the concepts in the simplest terms possible and still it confuses him.  And I'm a writer.  I may suck at everything else.  But one thing I'm good at is explaining.

And yet, he's got a huge heart and is very kind.  He is still a child, and probably always will be, so he is still the center of his universe and wants simple gratifications fulfilled--to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it--but, he would never intentionally hurt others feelings or put others down.  The reason he's in the home is fighting--violently acting out.  I have a good idea much of that rage comes from being teased, for feeling frustrated that he can't understand things like others do, for not being accepted.

How can kids be so cruel? we asks ourselves.  A better question would be, how could they not?  Watch television, read political commentary, follow facebook.   Everything about our society is about one-upping each other in intellect or achievement.  Our society thrives on depicting everyone else as dumb-asses.  Most of stand-up routines are centered, one way or another, around this.

For whatever reasons, my life has provided me with a wide variety of friends.  I know a few writers, artists and intellectuals.  I know many educators.  But, I also have several friends who are short-order cooks, waitresses, and factory workers.

And when it comes to humor--which to me, is one of the highest forms of intelligence--ability to identify injustices and express love and anger, I see very little difference between the college graduate with a masters degree and my friends who barely made it through high school.

In most cases, the more educated people, do lead happier, more productive lives.  But is this happiness due to intellect or just the cultural benefits of being smart in a society sick with intellectual elitism?

White males in the American South in the 1940's and 50's were more satisfied than their black counter parts, but not because they were biologically superior.  Society had selected "white' as a trait preferable to "black" and rewarded or abused individuals based on that criteria.

I wonder if we currently do the same based on education and perceived intellect.

I love to think.  My mind, my creativity, my ability to form thoughts--these give my life meaning. 

But none of that says anything about my worthiness as a human being.  No, that would be much better gaged by my ability to work with the special needs student without getting cross, without letting snide remarks shift my responsibility to educate onto another.

And to be honest, once in a while, I fail miserably at this. 

However, the real measure of a mind is compassion and patience, not I.Q. points, no matter what messages society puts forth.



No comments:

Post a Comment