Thursday, May 8, 2014

I Think I Will Mildew my Day Away (A Rainy Day Poem & Paul McCartney's "Uncle Albert")

The back patio at Dry Creek.

I think I will mildew my day away,
mold, rot, grow fern & fungi out the side
of my ambitions.

Not much choice anyway.
Dry Creek caught in a coastal rain--
though the coast be a day away.

I know rain like my father's death.

The drip off the eaves
of his back porch
as I followed him out
to the damp garage--

the deep smell of motor oil forever
mixed with a long goodbye--

trips planned, then cancelled
around the storms raging
inside his body.

It rained too
the day after the funeral.

I took the long way home.
I had to.
I needed bleak, black coastlines
thrust from the spray of the Pacific
and spewed in piles of black rock
below 101,

meadows water-logged,
elk water-logged,
coats like Spanish moss,
rivers swollen gray.

I sped through towns,
even quaint ones,
like Brandon by the Sea,
wanting only the raw

landscape to hold back
ocean-grief.

If I was going to lose it,
I'd lose it under a redwood giant
& I did.

There amid the spongy
quiet that exists nowhere
else, I let out a great scream
instantly digested
by the heap
of life and rot
beneath
me

as the sun
filtered
down
through lacy
fingers
oh so gently.

The video, "A Rainy Day & Paul McCartney's 'Uncle Albert Admiral Halsey'" will be forth-coming.  At this point, I'm a much better poet and the video still needs work--lots of it.










No comments:

Post a Comment