Sunday, January 12, 2014

Notes from the Road: A Utah Highway Poem (and Paul McCartney's "Everybody Out There")




      1.  I-15, Fillmore to Cove Fort

McCartney on the stereo,

pollution stained sunlight blinds my eyes.

No city in sight, but even here, spoiled

air.  My son sits tense. 

He wants my computer back.

     2.  Cove Fort to Beaver



Cows graze copper grass before a languid pond.

The man in car next to me talks to himself with hands

animated like black birds stormed

against a rusted sky.  Get me out of here.


What is real?  Cottonwood.  Rabbit brush clumped.

Juniper.  The silence between songs takes on meaning

I think.  I teach sometimes.  Mostly I count points,

assign value to busy work.  Everything


we do is to allocate significance to the insignificant.

A line of shiny metal boxes heads north.

A line of shiny metal boxes heads south

on their way to somewhere not here.

Movement.  Charts.  Traffic.  Progress.

War.  Always war.  Causes to be caring for.

   3. Utah 20


A cigarette dangles from the mouth

of the man in the dark green sedan.

If I was significant I could place that

on the back of the eyelids of the nation

and it would mean something

worth remembering.


I could get numbers.

My value would increase.

I wouldn’t have to stand in line

to do good.


The Tushar Mountains stand loaded

with fresh snow glazed

gold before an azure sky

and but for the grace of God

go you and I.

©Steve Brown 2014





No comments:

Post a Comment