Wednesday, August 8, 2012

First Connection: Brandon Flowers and the Killers

Late afternoon, maybe February, sunlight intense on the cliffs above Lukachukai.  I top the pass between Chinle and Tsaile, the pinion valley below green-gold. Patches of snow littered with pinion needles hide in the shadows as I race by this high, dry forest.  I'm listening to a Killers CD that I bought as a Christmas present for Marci.  Neither of us has really listened to it, but she likes the single, "Mr. Brightside".

Same day--just a few minutes later, in my driveway:  I'm in the van and I won't get out.  This song is different.  There's something so open, so vulnerable, so rebellious.   The lead-singer keeps repeating...

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

Lyrics don't seem special, and yet something feels familiar.  I replay it, listen closer to the words.

When there's nowhere else to run
Is there room for one more son
One more son
If you can hold on
If you can hold on, hold on
I want to stand up, I want to let go
You know, you know - no you don't, you don't
I want to shine on in the hearts of men
I want a meaning from the back of my broken hand

Still, nothing, at least not in the lyrics, that seems would grab me.  But something does.  Especially during the refrain,

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier



Then, strangely hymn-lines come to mind--

Put your shoulder to the wheel; push along,
Do your duty with a heart full of song,
We all have work; let no one shirk.
Put your shoulder to the wheel.

and...

Onward, Christian soldiers!
Marching as to war,
With the cross of Jesus
Going on before.

What the heck, this is a retro-punk group, with chunks of the Cure, the Fixx, U2, and the Police buried not-so-subtly below the main text of the melody.  Why on earth are Mormon hymns coming to mind?

So, I replay it, and replay it.  Of course, I don't get why.

Yeah, you know you got to help me out
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the backburner
You know you got to help me out
You're gonna bring yourself down
You're gonna bring yourself down
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the backburner
Yeah, you're gonna bring yourself down

Over and again, last call for sin
While everyone's lost, the battle is won
With all these things that I've done
All these things that I've done
If you can hold on
If you can hold on

Fast-forward a few months, and we're at the house in Page (I think), visiting Marci's parents.  We're all around the computer and Tyler tells us Brandon Flowers, the lead singer of the Killers,  is a Mormon.  I don't believe him.  How can I with the lyrics of "Mr. Brightside"?  His uncle Shane backs him up. 

"They say Alice Cooper grew up a Mormon," I protest.  "And that's false.  Why believe this?"

Later, I do some research. Sure enough Brandon Flowers grew up in Nephi, Utah, and is Mormon.  The Killers are based in Las Vegas where Flowers moved as a teen.  Early on the band was asked to relocate in LA, but Flowers refused to leave his adopted home. 

Flowers, like myself, then, grew up in two very different worlds.  Small town Utah and Vegas.  I grew up in small town Utah and Reno. 

With some context, I think I now understand "All These Things I've done."  "I got soul, but I'm not a soldier / I got soul, but I'm not a soldier" is Brandon letting his parents know that although he feels the spirit of the law, he can't live it.  He's got soul (he feels the spirit), but he's not a soldier (he's not going to be a typical Mormon, not part of the united army of belief).  In other words, he's leaving the flock.

Although many other themes, like Vegas, influence Flowers songwriting, his Mormon upbringing continues to seep through.  He's caught between two worlds, Utah and Nevada--neighboring states, worlds apart culturally, although both were settled early on by Mormons.  Like Flowers, I've been caught in a crossfire between heaven and hell.  And I think, like Flowers, I had a hard time deciding which was hell--small town Mormon Utah or the bright light, big Sodom and Gomorrah.  And of course, I also couldn't decide which was heaven.  Even though "Crossfire" is clearly about typical struggles in marriage, it extends, I think, to Flowers wavering between his religious upbringing and his new found freedom in the ways of the world.  That probably is also a source of the marriage tension discussed in the song.


"Human" written earlier than "Crossfire" directly demonstrates his mixed feelings about religion.  He both wants to be part of it, and at the same time break away from it:

And sometimes I get nervous
When I see an open door
Close your eyes
Clear your heart...
Cut the cord


The doors to the world have opened for him; he's got the chance to "cut the cord."  But he can't.  Why?

And I'm on my knees
Looking for the answer
Are we human?
Or are we dancers?


Most lyric sites record the lyrics this way, and they work.  But if you listen to the song, Flowers never puts an "s" at the end.  So, some sites print the lyrics this way--

And I'm on my knees
Looking for the answer
Are we human?
Or are we dancer?


--which are not only grammatically incorrect, but don't have any clear meaning.  Here's what I think Flowers is singing:

And I'm on my knees
Looking for the answer
Are we human?
Or are we denser?


In other words, he's on his knees, pleading with the Lord for an answer to his question, which is, "Are we only human (simply a product of evolution) or are we denser? (in other words, do we carry a spirit within us and have a divine purpose?)

This time, even after his prayer, Flowers decides to cut the chord:

And so long to devotion
You taught me everything I know
Wave goodbye
Wish me well..
You've gotta let me go


It sounds like he's leaving organized religion behind him.  However, he's not angry; he knows his religious upbringing has made him who he is:  "You taught me everything I know."  But he wants to be free between the crossfire of heaven and hell, so this time he chooses to leave.

For much of my life I felt the same:  Mormonism made me who I am, and it was good, but I want more. I incorrectly believed the church limited my artistic, intellectual and spiritual growth.  I now know it's quite the opposite:  I can only achieve my artistic, intellectual and spiritual potential through the church.  It's who I am. 

Based on a recent interview, it sounds as if Flowers has come to the same personal realization.  But, of course, testimony is a day to day affair, so he could again decide to cut the chord.  Whether he does or not, Mormonism will always be an influence on the Killers.  Mormonism is now a major world religion, and as such, more and more artists, writers and musicians will bring that herritage with them to the arts community.  It is time for critics to take Mormonism seriously as an influence on both American and world culture.

Mormons.  We are.



No comments:

Post a Comment