Thursday, May 10, 2012

At the Flute End of Sustainable Living

Painting of our irrigation pond by Lloyd Brown


To borrow a phrase from William Stafford’s poem, “At the Bomb Testing Site,” I now realize that I’m at the flute end of consequences“at the flute end of consequences.”  It is so apparent that I know next to nothing about sustainable living, as you’ve probably figured out, and yet with the media available these days and the amount of acreage we have, something is bound to happen.  It’s hard to comprehend how much living just four acres can sustain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl01au5pXm0

It’s even more boggling what can be accomplished in just 4,000 square feet:
 
And even though I have 10 acres with access to another eighty (provided the extended family approves of my projects), these videos make it clear that sustainable living does not require inheriting “just a continent without much on it.”* It is a possibility for everybody.  

So, with “hands gripped hard on the desert,”* I wait for change--something gloriously positive.

Heck, I may even cool off in an all natural swimming pool and watch history unfold:

*From William Stafford’s “At the Bomb Site”

No comments:

Post a Comment